Thursday, July 16, 2009

How Old is Too Old?

The world's oldest mother died this past week, leaving twin boys. She was 69 years old. I think, along with most of the world, that she was too old to conceive. There is now a 72 year old woman who would like to become a mother.

I feel very strongly and even passionately that I am not in a position to judge. Who am I to say if that person will be a good parent. Oftentimes, my clients are taking hormones and are stressed because they so desperately want a child. They have paid thousand of dollars and the majority of them have suffered, mostly without help, and grieved over not having a child. I do not usually see them at the best time in their life when I meet to review the contract.

But, 66 years and 72 years is too old. There is a reasons (too many to into for this post) why women give birth at a much younger age. First and foremost, it's the children that come first and now those children are left without the only parent they have ever known. That is the tragedy.

What do you think? How old is too old to become a mother?

No comments: