Thursday, September 27, 2007

Italian Court Rules on Embyro Screening

The Italian court has ruled in favor of the couple who wishes to screen their embyros for a genetic blood disorder. See article here.

I am often asked about pregenetic implantation diagnostic screening (PGD) and what I did during my IVF cycles. PGD was not practiced when I was cycling and I have to say I'm thankful for that. It would be one more decision my husband and I would have to make among the thousands we were already making. My IVF physician recently told me that I was not a candidate for it so I probably would not have chosen to have my embryos tested. But, if I had a genetic or inheritable disease similar to this Italian couples, I would do PGD. Most ethicists agree that PGD should be available to couples for this reason and not as a standard practice in an IVF center.

No comments: